Director of Finance – Mondrian Bordeaux
Mondrian Bordeaux | 81 Cr du Médoc, 33300 Bordeaux, France
A MODERN CULTURAL FAIRY TALE IN THE HEART OF BORDEAUX
An early 19th-century castle originally home to the cellars of the prestigious Maison Calvet is a fitting destination for Mondrian Bordeaux Les Carmes. Once again devoted to pursuits of beauty and excellence, this emblematic building has been reimagined by Philippe Starck to create a new expression of Bordeaux influenced by a reverence for Eastern and Western traditions. Guests will be welcomed to Chartrons, a picturesque area rich in the heritage of wine merchants, with all the hallmarks of the Mondrian experience: imaginative dining, immersive wellness, and inspiration at every turn.
About the role
The Director of Finance is responsible for providing consistent leadership in the financial area of the hotel focusing on the profitability of the business; maintain accurate and timely financial reports; ensure acceptable levels of internal control; ensure compliance with all levels of regulations and standard operating procedures; and protection of owner/investor assets.
- Manage and communicate cash flow matters, which includes accurate and timely preparation of cash flow statements, management of receivables, payables, cash balances, controls and timely deposits of all funds.
- Comply with all tax laws and regulations of the host country (which affect the hotel's financial matters). This includes responsibility for ensuring that the appropriate permits and licenses are obtained for transactions such as currency transfers.
- Retention of all leases, contracts and other legal records and documents that may affect the hotel's financial position.
- Sign inspection and approval of all Daily Activity Reports, Monthly Reports, Monthly Activity Trend Reports, Monthly Activity Source Reports, and Monthly Activity Checklist Reports.
- Sign, indicating inspection and approval, all Daily Operations Reports, Monthly Reports, Monthly Operations Trends Report, Monthly Business Sources Report and Monthly Business Checklist Report.
- Monitor hotel revenue and expenditure and ensure that it is accurately recorded in accordance with established international guidelines.
- Review and critique variances from budget or prior year and propose practical improvement methods to management and owners/investors.
- Control the investment planning process by assisting management in calculating the return on capital improvements, gathering information and controlling the bidding process, and ensuring the proper maintenance of the property by the evaluation of the scope of work and specifications.
- Ensure hotel compliance with all regulatory licenses and permits, leases, contracts and legal agreements, as well as proper execution of all operating taxes. Assist management in enforcing compliance on all of these points.
- Analyze financial data and operations in order to assist and advise management in pursuing the financial objectives of the hotels.
- Ensure that all balance sheet accounts including bank reconciliations are reconciled in a timely manner.
- Embrace an environment of continuous growth by actively contributing to recruiting, reviewing and maintaining an inventory of controllers, assistant controllers, accounting managers and other managers for the organization.
- You are an experienced hotel finance person, 5-7 years, 2+ in a leadership role
- Hotel opening experience, preferably in a premium-branded hotel
- Technical proficient, with a solid understanding of compliance requirements and hotel-specific systems, hotel and restaurant operations best practices, finance function set-up and standard systems (PMS systems, reservation systems, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluent in French and English.
- You have a solid understanding of local legal compliance requirements.
- You make people feel good - your team, guests and colleagues alike. You make a positive impact.
- You’re a strong team leader, a natural at managing and inspiring others in a way that gets the best out of them.
- You are an excellent relationship builder, confident in working with other teams and leaders; you’re passionate about what we can achieve together.
- You take ownership of important issues, solve problems, and make effective decisions.
- You learn quickly and adapt to Mondrian's unique culture.
- You are humble and open to ideas. We leave our ego at the door and help get things done.
- You’re up for doing things differently and trying (almost) everything once.
- You want to be part of a team that works hard, supports each other and has fun along the way.
Thank you for applying!