SLS Barcelona | Carrer de Vila, 08017 Barcelona, Spain
SLS Barcelona brings a new variety of oceanside glamor, indulgence and excellence to Barcelona’s vibrant 22@ neighborhood. Here the hallmarks of an SLS wonderland – playful ambiance, VIP treatment, and theatrical experiences - meet idyllic views to set a lavish stage for the extraordinary to unfold. The only 5-star hotel in the city to feature a terrace off every guestroom (471 in total), SLS Barcelona is all-encompassing in its delight, with two pools, a spa, fitness center and six bars and restaurants that create lively food and entertainment within this singular location. A 750sqm auditorium and a dozen versatile meeting spaces round out the offering to form the complete destination - inviting groups, events and travelers of all types to say, “farewell to the ordinary.”
We are looking for an experienced Culinary Director to join the pre-opening team at SLS Barcelona. Under the guidance of the General Manager, the Culinary Director is expected to provide training for all staff, meet Ennismore quality standards, establish and enforce food specifications, portion control, recipes, and sanitation. You are also responsible for controlling food and labor costs, while maximizing guest satisfaction.
The Culinary Director is the driving force behind all culinary consistency and advancement within the local market. The desired candidate must have experience in multi-outlets or similar environment as well as a full understanding and passion to the latest food trends and competitors. The focus of the Culinary Director will be to keep the culinary team at the top of innovation while maintaining daily operations to meet financial goals.
What you'll do...
- Ensures that culinary activities are aligned with the respective corporate strategy, and that the hotel actions have been implemented where appropriate.
- Prepares and updates of individual departmental operations manuals.
- Conducts regular communications meetings and ensures that departmental briefings and meetings are effective and conducted as necessary.
- Maintain the quality of food product and ensure consistency in food delivery and standards. Ensure guest satisfaction score goals are achieved and/or exceeded.
- Ensure the food product that is presented to guests is enhanced. Make changes that respond to the marketplace and to guests’ needs, both present and anticipated. Recommend changes to the food product. Use market research to develop new products.
- Provide support of a specialist nature to the Executive Committee, particularly to the Director of Food & Beverage. Work in support of team goals and measures effectiveness through the Food and Beverage profit and service performance of the hotel.
- Select, train and develop personnel within the department. Able to exercise hire, discipline, personnel performance reviews and termination of employment discretion within SLS policies.
- Oversee divisional matters as they relate to federal, state and local employment and civil rights laws.
- Control the elements that determine profit and loss. Responsible for all major operating expenses. Set margins and manage the business against projections. Make decisions that relate to profit and loss. Responsible for the financial management of the operation
- Focuses attention on improving productivity levels and the need to prudently manage utility/payroll costs within acceptable guidelines ensuring optimum deployment and energy efficiency of all equipment.
- Spends time in culinary areas observing associate-guest/associate-internal interaction, working through heads of department to coach associates as necessary.
- Oversees and assists in the recruitment and selection of all kitchen associates. Adheres to hotel guidelines when recruiting and uses a competency-based approach to select associates.
- Give direction and leadership and be responsible for the implementation of plans.
- Monitor effectiveness and introduce changes in response to the marketplace. Set targets, plan and schedule work and performance indicators that are typically productivity and efficiency measures.
- Consult with the Director, Catering/Convention Services, Director of Sales, Director of Marketing and Outlet Managers on a weekly basis as well as with other departments as necessary.
- Participate in long range planning. Lead, support and make recommendations for ongoing hotel programs with continuous improvement in networking.
- Ensure preparation of required reports, including (but not limited to) Wage Progress, payroll, revenue, employee Schedules, quarterly actions plans.
- Design and implement employee cafeteria rotating menu and oversee cafeteria operations, if applicable.
What we're looking for...
- High School Diploma or equivalent required, University Degree in Business, Hospitality, or Related field preferred
- Minimum 3 to 5 years of management experience in an accredited restaurant or hotel
- Must obtain any government required licenses, certificates or permits
- Must have knowledge of food and beverage preparation techniques, health department rules and regulations, liquor laws and regulations
- 1 to 2 years in a public contact position, preferably in an upscale or lifestyle brand hotel
- Enter and locate work related information using computers and/or point of sale systems
- Ability to multitask, work in a fast-paced environment and have a high-level attention to detail
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local laws governing equal employment opportunity and civil rights, occupational safety and health, wage and hour issues, and labour relations.
- You’re a strong team leader, a natural at managing and inspiring others in a way that gets the best out of them.
- You combine analytical and methodical thinking with high attention to detail and a solution-focused approach.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluent in Spanish and English.
- You make people feel good - your team, guests and colleagues alike. You make a positive impact.
- You are an excellent relationship builder, confident in working with other teams and leaders; you’re passionate about what we can achieve together.
- You take ownership of important issues, solve problems, and make effective decisions.
- You learn quickly and adapt to SLS’s unique culture.
- You are humble and open to ideas. We leave our ego at the door and help get things done.
- You’re up for doing things differently and trying (almost) everything once.
- You want to be part of a team that works hard, supports each other and has fun along the way.
Physical abilities required…
- Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 10kg without assistance.
- Requires grasping, writing, standing, sitting, walking, repetitive motions, bending, climbing, listening and hearing ability and visual acuity.
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift.
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping
What's in it for you...
- The opportunity to join an innovative, fast-growing, international group that’s committed to not just building new hotels but building a global brand.
- The chance to challenge the norm and work in an environment that is both creative and rewarding.
- Become part of a team that’s very passionate about creating great hospitality experiences and exploring new locations at every opportunity.
- A competitive package and plenty of opportunity for development.
- Excellent discounts across the entire Ennismore family of brands.
SLS is part of Ennismore, a creative hospitality company rooted in culture and community, with a global collection of entrepreneurial and founder-built brands with purpose at their heart. Ennismore is a joint- venture with Accor, formed in 2021.